Important dates for the second call
Attention, new call deadline 04 September 2020
call deadline has been postponed due to the pandemic
Opening of the call: 09/03/2020
Application deadline: 04/09/2020
Evaluation of the candidates (incl. audition): September/October 2020
Planned start/end date of researchers’ contracts: January 2021/December 2023
ECLAUSion is funded by the prestigious Marie Skłodowska-Curie COFUND action within the H2020 Research and Innovation programme of the European Union. Within this programme funded by the EU, Ecole centrale de Lyon and RMIT (Melbourne), the PhD fellow will sign a three-year work contract with ECL, will spend ~ two years in EC-Lyon (France) and ~ one year in RMIT (Melbourne) in Australia. The PhD fellow will graduate both from EC-Lyon and RMIT. By spending a substantial amount of time in RMIT Melbourne Australia during the cotutelle exchange they will gain a truly unique life changing experience in a vibrant and multicultural environment both at the academic and social level.
ECLAUSion students will receive a generous package making ECLAUSion a unique international experience. ECL will pay a total gross salary of 2600€/month (including social benefits; eg pension, health and unemployment insurance) plus a mobility allowance of 300€. This corresponds to a net salary ~ 1650 €/month; all international travel expenses to Australia (including stay in Australia, air fares, top-up living allowance, international conferences, summer/winter schools…) will be paid by the program.
What is the first step I should take?
First, verify that you fulfill all the eligibility criteria (see section below), in particular, the Academic and International criteria.
- Academic criteria: Applicants for doctor of philosophy programs must be in a position to complete a master by research degree or an equivalent diploma (before the beginning of the PhD position) or have completed (< 4 years) a master by research degree or an equivalent diploma. Note that Early-Stage Researchers (ESR) must at the date of recruitment be in the first four years (i.e after their master) of their research careers.
- International criteria: ESR will need to comply with the MSCA mobility rule. Applicants must not have had their main residence or carried out their main activity (work, studies…) in France for more than 12 months during the three years immediately prior to the deadline of the cal (22/05/2020).
The eligibility of each potential applicant will be checked by the administrative management team.
What is the second step I should take?
Second, find a research topic of interests among the PhD proposals. Contact the potential supervisors/research group to discuss your interest and seek their support for your candidature.
Then submit your application via the PhD Application form (https://eclausion.ec-lyon.fr/index.php/phd-proposals)
Applications will include a CV, letters of reference from supervisors of previous research projects, academic transcripts including bachelor’s and master’s, language proficiency in English (TOEFL/IELTS) if applicable, motivation letter, international experience (MSCA mobility rule, see specific requirements), and optionally a project research in line with the research topics. Please see section selection process below.
1. Administrative eligibility check of the applicants and evaluation/preselection by the doctoral supervisors and research teams of the possible candidates and shortlisting
Applications having passed the eligibility criteria will be handed to the doctoral co-supervisors and research teams (French and Australian). They will read these applications, comment them, discuss with potential students. The potential doctoral supervisors will then rank their candidates/topics and prepare a report/letter of support detailing and motivating their evaluation of all the applicants.
The ESRs evaluation will be carried out based upon the following criteria
- CV, letters of recommendation from the master internship supervisor, motivation letter, and grades obtained during their respective masters courses 30%
- Individual interviews (face to face, telephone, visio, skype, …), motivation of the candidate, realization of the 3i dimension of the project. 30%
- Adequacy of their academic background and research experience to the research project objective 20%
- Future professional goals 20%
2. Interviews of the candidates in front of the selection committee. Overall ranking and selection of the top 5 pair candidates/topics.
The candidate will give, in English, a 10 minutes presentation followed by a 15 minutes discussion between the candidate and the selection committee (via visioconference or at ECL).
During his 10 minutes presentation, the candidate should briefly present
- His/her background and the adequacy of his/her academic training and experience to the research topic
- The description of the research topics as understood by the candidate: it should include the long term vision of the research field, the research objective of the project; the scientific context, the expected scientific and societal impact, potential benefit to our industry partner, Europe and Australia, an approximate timetable including the stay in Australia, resources and support needed to carry out the project, collaborations envisioned other than with our RMIT and industrial counterpart.
- research-oriented, academics and personal motivation for this particular topic and scheme
- Professional endeavor and the role of this PhD to achieve his/her goals
The selection committee will then select the top 5 pair candidate/topics based on the following criteria
- Candidate track record, academic records and grades obtained during their respective masters courses, CV, letters of recommendation from the master internship supervisor and evaluation letter of the potential doctoral supervisor (30%)
- Quality of the interview (presentation and discussion) (30%)
- Adequacy of their academic background and research experience to the research project objective (20%)
- Motivation of the candidate, realization of the 3i dimension of the project and career goals (20%)